Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Leona Lewis

Okay, so it has been several weeks back that I was introduced to the new big star, Leona Lewis. For those who aren't familiar with the name or that don't know the story behind young Ms. Lewis, she was the 2006 winner of "The X Factor" (which is the British version of "American Idol"). I was introduced to Leona Lewis when she made her American debut with he friend, Simon Cowell, on none other than the all American show "Oprah" (HA HA!). Anyways, it was then that her single "Bleeding Love" began hitting radio waves in America and since then, well let's just say it's exploded on the American charts and I believe it is currently #1. Whatever the case, I've no doubt you've most likely heard it at some point in time, as it's being played like on every radio channel right now it seems.

So once I heard Ms. Lewis for that first time, I too, like Simon, fell in love with her...her voice is INCREDIBLE. She sounds a lot like Mrs. Cannon (AKA Mariah Carey...HA HA!). I've ALWAYS thought Mariah has had one of the best voices of all times (that doesn't mean I think she's the coolest artist of all times, because she DEFINATELY has some attitude/diva issues I don't think too highly of...HA!). Anyways, from what I hear, the 23-year old new artist is such a sweetheart and quite the humble young lady -- something that's respectful among big-names (let's see if it can last).

After hearing her on Oprah I wanted to get her cd as soon as it was released in America, but it turned out that I didn't purchase it until this past weekend. Nonetheless, it's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, just as I had expected!

This woman has unbelievable vocals, but besides that, the words to her songs are ones that hit you. They make you listen to them and they tell the story; the story of our lives.

As I've been making my way through listening to all the tracks I got caught-up in the lyrics of the 9th track on the disc yesterday when driving to my second job. I found myself having to start it over and turn up the volume and pay close attention to the words...

...wow.

I was immediately reminded of the close friend I lost this past summer. I began playing it over and over. At points I got so wrapped up in the words and reflections on my friend that I found my eyes watering.

"Yesterday" (the 9th track) is one of those PERFECT songs for the background music in a slideshow that is played when someone passes away. [HA HA! I know I sound all morbid, but I've had soo much experience making picture slideshows that are accompanied with music that when I hear a song, I immediately think of how the lyrics are and if they'd go in a slideshow of any sort (i.e. weddings, parties, honors, funerals, etc.).] It's a beautiful song!

I immediately found myself calling one of my coworkers, who was also really close to the friend that we lost last year, and I told her I had to let her hear the song when I got back to work the next day. When I did share it with her today at work, it took a lot for her to hold back from crying, and she was like, "see, I wouldn't be able to listen to that song more than once because I'd just cry everytime." She thought I was kinda weird for saying I've listened to it over and over and over since discovering it on the cd. But I told her the way I look at it is, "yes, it's still sad that we lost our friend, but I like to think of the positive and look at how the song's point is to remember even death can't take away the great memories we have with that person. That I like to smile when I listen to the song and think of my friend because it makes me think of all the great times that of 'yesterday' that we'll always have."

It's a BEAUTIFUL song, and I'd recommend it to people who have lost people close to them. Don't be surprised if you find yourself crying, because it really is a touching song...the lyrics are so real. Here is some video that someone made to the song. This way you can hear the song...and below it I've pasted the lyrics (and actually, I don't know that I'd suggest watching the video clip the first time you listen to the song. I'd say start the clip so the song plays and then just follow along the lyrics so you focus on the words. Then if you want to go back and watch the video part the second time, do that).




I just can't believe your gone
Still waiting for morning to come
When I see if the sun will rise
Even without you by my side
Well we had so much in store
Tell me what is it I'm reaching for
When were through building memories
I'll hold yesterday in my heart
In my heart

They can take tomorrow
And the plans we made
They can take the music
That we'll never play
All the broken dreams take everything
Just take it away
But they can never have yesterday
They can take the future
That we'll never know
They can take the places
That we said we would go
All the broken dreams take everything
Just take it away
But they can never have yesterday

You always used to say
I should be thankful for everyday
Heaven knows what the future holds
Or at least how the story goes
(but I never believed them 'til now)
I know I'll see you again I'm sure
No it's not selfish to ask for more
One more night one more day
One more smile on your face
But they can't take yesterday

Chorus

I thought our days would last forever
(but it wasn't our destiny)
'Cause in my mind we had so much time
But I was so wrong
Now I can believe that I can still find
The strengh in the moments we made
I'm looking back on yesterday

Chorus

All the broken dreams take everything
But they can never have yesterday

Now, that isn't the only song I've fallen in love with from the cd. Like I said, it's an AMAZING cd. So here are some of my other favorites right now...

Of course, #1 "Bleeding Love" but also, #2 "Better in Time", #3 "I Will Be", #11 "Take a Bow", #12 "Footprints in the Sand", and #13 "Here I Am".

"Here I Am" really touched me just tonight. It was actually what pushed me into going ahead and writing this blog entry tonight. I have thought yesterday how I wanted to write it because I was so touched by the song "Yesterday" but I didn't take the time to do it. But then tonight when I found myself stopping and replaying #13 to pay closer attention to the lyrics because I had heard something that was said in them and it made me think of one of my close friends right now. As I replayed and listened to the whole song I was struck with it..."yet again, another amazing song that represents a piece of my life!"

I recommend looking up this song and reading the lyrics and dedicating it to any close friend you have that is going through a tough time and you want them to know you are always there for them.

Sing on, Ms. Lewis!

6 comments:

Holly said...

I really like the song in that video. It is so insightful and filled with raw emotion. I enjoy Leona Lewis' music. I saw you mentioned, "Better in Time" - I love that one. She also has another one I really like called, "Homeless." She has a beautiful voice. Gotta love the foreign artists these days!

Anonymous said...

I love Leona too. But just wanted to correct something that's going round the American press and is very annoying to us Brits - X Factor is NOT the UK version of American Idol, nothing to do with it, despite Simon Cowell being a judge. American Idol is the US version of Pop Idol, a UK programme that spawned X Factor too. You Yanks didn't invent everything, you know:)!

Jennifer said...

I like Leona, too, although the only song I've heard is "Bleeding Love." She's very talented.

And about Mariah Carey, can I just say UGH? She annoys me to no end. She's beautiful and has an amazing voice, but her music has really just turned to pure crap. The two songs on the radio are just stupid. I mean, are we really going to mention You Tube in a song? And I don't like the other one either. I think it's ridiculous that just because she used to be good, her new songs get so much airplay they go straight to number one. I could go on and on.

Jennifer said...

Oh, and I love how Melissa called us Yanks. I wonder if she knows the Yanks only live up North and we live in Texas? :)

Anonymous said...

I've come to believe that sometimes we're "led" to certain things because we need to experience a feeling or an emotion . . . maybe it's something that's difficult to remember because of the pain that goes with the memory . . . but still there's a "healing" of sorts in experiencing that emotion . . . I don't know, that may not make any sense.

Anonymous said...

I love her! Thanks for sharing the new song!