Sunday, May 04, 2008

Some Quotes and Points

Okay, so I was cleaning off my desk today and came across some quotes and other points I had jotted down on post-it notes and left on my desk to put into blog entries at some point in time. And honestly, I can say some of them are pretty old...HA! So I'm going to just put them all here and share them now because I refuse to just discard them, because I really wanted to share them at whenever point in time it was that I originally jotted them down...HA!

---------------------------------------------

First, I saw the following on some Postsecret cards a while back that were in a Postsecret video clip that was posted on YouTube. I really "felt" these sayings...

"Sometimes we put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to knock them down."

"I like to stay up late on the computer and look for answers."

"I think God is just a big placebo."

"People don't realize how lucky they are to have friends who genuinely care about their well being. My secret is that I don't have any."

"I don't fear being touched... HUG ME... I fear being let go."

Each of these touched me for different reasons. Some made me think of people I know. Some made me say, "Hmmm..." Others made me feel for the person writing the card.

I love Postsecret!

Speaking of Postsecret. I actually printed off one of the cards (two weeks ago I guess it was) and mailed it with a note to someone. I couldn't help but think of that person IMMEDIATELY when I read the card. I immediately wished it had been sent in to Postsecret by the person I mailed it too, but I couldn't help but feel the hope slip away when I realized that wasn't that person's handwriting that was on the actual card. Nonetheless, I wanted that person to know I thought of them and desperately wished it had been from them.

---------------------------------------------

A couple of the other post-it notes I have have some stats written on them. They were actually from a gameshow that came out some MANY months ago, and the show was called "The Power of Ten." I'm not sure if it's on air anymore (I'm pretty sure it's not); however, it did seem like a pretty interesting gameshow to me.

Anyways, about the show...

The show had gone out and taken surveys of the general public and had them answer random questions and then the gameshow contestant had to guess and see how close to the correct percentage of people answered the survey questions a particular way. [Note: Okay, maybe I didn't explain that just right, but whatever.]

Below are some of the resulting percentage statistics from the surveys that I found interesting...

A.) 33% of Americans surveyed say they believe that September 11th should be a national holiday.

B.) 81% of the parents surveyed said that if they were asked by their child they would tell them the truth about how old they were when they lost their virginity.

C.) 19% of Americans surveyed said they think the world would be a better place if America ruled it.

I think if you go to the gameshow's website, you can see more questions and statistics from the show.


---------------------------------------------

Finally, I got this last quote off an Oprah episode I watched several weeks back. And honestly, I can't even remember what the show was about, but I do remember that this quote came from a mother. Her daughter was in jail and the mother was telling about how she had dedicated herself to being encouraging and motivating to her daughter through her sentence. The mother wrote the daughter a postcard everyday. The mother was saying how the daughter had always loved Winnie the Pooh as a child, so on one of the postcards to the daughter all she wrote was the following quote...

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe; stronger than you seem; and smarter than you think." Christopher Robyn to Winnie the Pooh.

What an encouraging quote! I can think of people right now I'd like to share that with based on where they stand in their current state of life.

Much love, my readers!

3 comments:

Julie said...

good stuff. i love quotes!

Anonymous said...

I will be 50 on Tuesday (5/13) and I LOVE Pooh! Thank you so much for sharing this quote!

Kim said...

When I first discovered postsecret, I was absolutely in love with it for its creativity. Now, I appreciate its edginess more. I still continue to be surprised, and sometimes, disturbed, by it.