Monday, March 27, 2006

Blue Like Monday Mornings

Blue Like Jazz Chapter 11 – Confession: Coming Out of the Closet

Random, but I think this is an appropriate time for this chapter since it says, “Coming out of the Closet” and a lot of talk right now is about homosexuality. Coincidence? Hmm…

He told me how much he didn’t like Christianity but how he had always wanted to believe Jesus was the Son of God.

I was discussing religion/God/Christianity with a friend just recently and she said something to me that I thought was really interesting. She was talking about how she is so fed up with a lot of Christians right now and how she feels she is at the point that she does not want to be associated with them and she said she prefers to not even call herself “a Christian anymore, but instead a follower of Christ.”

I like that. I think that’s cool. I have another friend that the impression I get from her, is that she does not feel like the going to church and the being a part of a church somewhere is really all that crucial, but she thinks it just comes down to the relationship she has with God herself. I think that’s interesting.

I am not saying I think either of these is necessarily right or wrong, I just like their ways of thinking. It challenges the “same ol’ same ol’” in my opinion, and that alone I think is something worth considering from time to time.

Why should we all just try to be part of the crowd and get the label of Christian? Especially if “Christians” are not setting the example we believe to be the true Christian example the Bible talks about.

I think that is what is being referenced in the comment from Donald Miller’s words. I think many times we strive for the main source, Jesus in this case, and do not want to get wrapped up in the structure below, especially when we can find faults in any un-perfect situation (which is all of them, considering the doctrine that only Christ achieved perfection).

------------------------------------------------------

Tony the Beat Poet says the church is like a wounded animal these days. He says we used to have power and influence, but now we don’t, and so many of our leaders are upset about this and acting like spoiled children, mad because they can’t have their way…They want to take their ball and go home because they have to sit the bench.

Okay, honestly, the only part of that I really want to comment on is the last part, but I put the whole bit so the context would help the understanding of the sentence. I just LOVE that last sentence. Let me say it again…

They want to take their ball and go home because they have to sit the bench.

Wow. How funny and how true that can be! Isn’t it funny how we can all relate to that?!!? You know you’ve had those situations when you do not get your way, so you want to make sure no one else gets their way, only to end up leaving everyone unhappy. HA! I love the “take their ball…” The “their” is what makes it classic, because the ball is the only thing left that that person sitting the bench has control over, since it is “their” ball, so that use that last bit of control to ruin it for everyone by taking “their ball and go[ing] home,” leaving everyone else without something to play with.

HA! I can’t help but laugh as I think about it, because I can picture it, just as I’m sure you can, the kid sitting on the bench, fuming at the ears because he is not getting to play. He is so upset, and then, just then, this “ah ha” grin comes over his face as he realizes it is HIS ball, and he can “make them pay” for not letting him play.

We all do this, in one form or another. Maybe not as drastically, but still in some form. I suppose in a way, it can be utilizing our resources to better life for our self, but sometimes, it can be just down-right selfish. (But I still can’t help but laugh…HA!)

------------------------------------------------------

You never question the truth of something until you have to explain it to a skeptic.

You don’t know just how true this is unless you have been in the situation!

I many times get to play the role of the skeptic, but I have been in the other role with topics before.

I love a good religion/beliefs discussion. When it comes to Christianity and beliefs in a God and this such topics, I find myself loving the questioning of it all. I have been blessed with many wonderful friends who will discuss these topics in depth with me.

In all honesty, I strive to make them question their beliefs when we get in these discussions. However, I think it is important to note that I have NO intentions of leading someone away from their faith or beliefs. That is NEVER my purpose. Many of you know my respect for Christian believes, so that of course is NEVER my intent. But, having said that, I think it is only healthy to question a truth or a belief. I love to make someone really have to think about why they believe what they do. Because honestly, if you do not know why you believe it, maybe you actually believe something else, but you were not aware of it, because you did not know it even existed possibly.

Whatever the case, explaining your beliefs and your truths to someone that is skeptic of them is a challenge I would put anyone up to who thinks they are in firm standing with their faith; someone that thinks they know why they believe what they believe, as well as can explain it thoroughly. Find a skeptic to discuss your beliefs with, just be willing to be open to their thoughts as well, because you will be questioned.

Many skeptics are just that, someone who has questioned what they believed to the point of uncertainty.

Maybe questions can go on forever, but at least questions give room for answers, and it is in answers that one can establish a belief.

[Note: All the above text in smaller italic print has been quoted directly from Donald Miller’s “Blue Like Jazz”]

No comments: