So here is the exercise: Here is the list of 17 values that was listed on our handout and you need to pick your top 5 values and put them in order from 1 to 5 with 1 being the most important value to you.
- LOYALTY: maintaining important connections and commitments
- POWER: having authority and influence
- INDEPENDENCE: having freedom of though and action
- EDUCATION: continuing growth in knowledge and skills
- RECOGNITION: receiving recognition for achievements
- EMOTIONAL WELL-BEING: solving emotional problems and maintaining self-esteem
- SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING: living according to my spiritual beliefs
- PHYSICAL WELL-BEING: taking care of my body
- SEXUAL FULFILLMENT: feeling good about myself sexually
- QUALITY MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP: having a marriage or relationship that is a source of love and fulfillment
- LOVE: loving and being loved
- SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT: being able to do things really well
- PLEASURE OR JOY: enjoying the joys and pleasures in my life
- FAMILY: maintaining family traditions and background
- PARENTHOOD: having and taking care of children as a source of fulfillment
- AESTHETICS: having beauty in my surroundings
- ACCEPTANCE: being accepted by people who are important to me
You obviously are not required to share your list with the rest of us, but feel free too, as I have listed my top 5 values in the comment section already. I find it is interesting to see what people hold as true values to themselves. It is our values that tend to guide our lives!
NOTE: I highly encourage you to make your list and rankings BEFORE going to the comment section to view other people's rankings. Though we don't always think so, we as humans can be influenced even when we think we stand firm in our beliefs.