Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Encouragement

I'm a BIG fan of encouraging others, but I also know the importance of encouragement to one's self. Today in our team meeting for my internship we talked about the termination process, but not really so much focusing on the end of our time with our clients. Today we focused on the end of our team. It does not have to mean the end of our friendships, just that we won't be a team any longer.

The individual who was leading our team meeting spoke on the importance of being sure to get the strengths as well as the weaknesses from your team members. We ended up doing an activity where we passed around blank sheets of paper with our name on the top and everyone wrote something about you. It was unfortunate that we didn't get any "weaknesses" about ourselves out of the activity, but none the less, it made for a really encouraging meeting!

Here are the comments I got on my paper...feel free to try to guess which two comments came from my two instructors/supervisors. One of those being the only male on our team and the other individual being a doctorate level professor.

Cool, calm, collected. You'll be a great social worker!

So thoughtful--good example of the power of quiet.

Your appreciation of the human spirit and thoughtfulness is wonderful!!

Kimberly--what can I say? I couldn't have asked for a neater partner & friend on this journey! Thank you!

Kimberly...whatever!! But seriously, I have really enjoyed my time with you and wish you the very best. So long sucker!

You are an inspiration. I admire how you take on everything @ 110%.

Great sense of humor and very insightful!


I think it is very important to get feedback from those you are working with. But I don't think that is the only place feedback is important from. I was actually just telling my supervisor today during our supervision session, PRIOR to us doing this activity in our team meeting, how I loved the activity my fellow intern and I did with our "older" women's group that we lead a weekly discussion/support group with on Thursdays. Last week we did a "Blessings Book" with the ladies. We actually did that almost EXACT same activity that we did in the team meeting. Everyone passed around their "Blessings Book" and everyone wrote to everyone else. While we didn't get them ALL completed in our hour together, we did get most people to sign them. Here is the feedback I got from some of the women in our discussion group. Honestly, this group is going to be one of the things I'll miss the most from the internship, even though I've always been one that was intimidated by "group therapy" and having to lead a "group therapy" session. One of these comments is from one of my clients that truly brightens my day everytime I get to see her. I know I've mentioned her in the past. She is the individual who deals with schizophrenia and is AMAZING brilliant! I love being around this lady! You can try to guess which one she left me...

Kimberly--What a blessing you are to me! You have/are a true friend, colleague, and partner. What an incredible ride/journey it has been. Thanks for being such an encouragement to me. Look forward to watching you walk for your Ph.D. Love ya,

Kimberly, thank you so much for being such a wonderful friend. Love,

To one of the two sweetest interns UTA could have sent us.

Kimberly--keep up the good work you do. We really enjoy you coming,

Kimberly, It is such a joy to have you & Susan here with us. My only true Cardinal buddie in Texas. May God Always Be With You,

To a nice person. Stay as sweet as you are forever.

Dear Kimberly, Thank you for coming into my life. You have a very sweet spirit. May God Bless You Always.

Never give up your faith in God.

God Bless you. I haven't been here long, but I feel you are a very special lady.

Dear Kimberly, So glad you came into my life. I so needed the computer knowledge. And you made it fun & seem easy. Also thanks for listening to my ramblings with a patient smile. I know you have chosen your future field well. God Bless. Take care.

Encouragement is good, my friends!

Be a part, and let me know if you need a part! ;)

No comments: