Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Thanksgiving Day Decisions....

With the rapid approach of Thanksgiving Day, many thoughts begin to cross my mind. First, obviously, all the blessing I have in my life cross my mind. The people in my life, friends, family, acquaintances, etc. they have all had a GREAT influence on who I am, so I thank you!

Another thought, and the one being the inspiration for this blog, is the idea of the “kids” table vs. the “adult” table. Let me explain…

First, I must set the stage. Every other year my mom’s side of the family has a big get together for Thanksgiving (this year happens to be the “on” year). So, my whole family will be getting together this year right outside of Springfield, Missouri (my birth place), with approximately 50 or so relatives. To me this is cool because for one, I don’t get to see most of these people except every two years at this function, and secondly, I’ve always loved my mom’s side of the family. HA! I mean heck, the uncle I’m currently living with is her baby brother! ;)

So, at this get-together, with all these tons of people, we will have the time to eat of course. This is where I begin to think, so, where will I sit and eat this year (I have tended to ask myself this question for the past few years of this—ever since I’ve been going back for the get-together and I’ve been in college). As any of you who have big family get-togethers know, there is always the “kids” table and the “adults” table (or in our case with so many people, several of each).

I question where I belong (not that I suppose you have to be one or the other, but it isn’t like you can sit at both tables at once). I know as an almost 23 year old I’m not really what society would consider to be a “kid” anymore, but I’ve always found I relate with kids so well. Let’s face it, I would fit right in at the kids table, it ain’t like I look like I’m 23 years old anyways!

But then there is that side of me that is like, “dude, your in graduate school. You’re an ‘adult,’ so go side with the other adult relatives and fellowship with them. You’re finally part of that crowd.” But then I quickly think, well that means you’ll have to have the “adult” type conversations, and honestly I’ve never been real into the “politics and job” type talks. Granted I could spend the time educating these great relatives of mine on the wonderful experiences of Texas, which most of them are unfamiliar with (yes, I know, a lot of y’all reading this right now are letting out a big cheer and sayin’ “that’s right!” HA!) But still, I think of how I could go sit with the kiddos and not worry about things like, tasting some of the food and finding out I don’t really like it and choosing not to eat it, or if I spill on myself, not worrying about lookin’ like a dork! ;)

So, while I’m still not sure as to where I’ll sit at Thanksgiving (maybe I’ll find the “younger adult” table) I do know this: I’m just lookin’ forward to all the good food! YUM!

Also, this whole kid vs. adult confusion also brings up the topic of what do I wear to Thanksgiving? Do I wear a nice button down shirt and try to look nice and adult-like, because I am a college graduate now working on even higher up education, or do I wear my sweatshirt and jeans so I can go outside and play football and basketball with all the kids like I tend to end up doing every time we have this get together! ;) Hmmm…..

Let me know if you too are confronted with the “kids” vs. “adults” table decision, and let me know what you do, or what you think I should do! ;)

2 comments:

Holly said...

LOL - I haven't contemplated the "kids table vs. adult table" in quite a while. I have several great memories from sitting at the kids table! I just want to say that I think it's good that at least you have an option - me (the one in grad school), my cousin Tricia (the one in college), and my cousin Paula (the one in med school) - we feel we've pretty much earned the right to sit at the adult table but do we? Nooooo, we still never get to sit with them. We're the young-adult outcasts! lol. You're only important if you're 10 years old or 100 years old ;) (well, not really, but ya know).

We have our own little table - which isn't too bad b/c then we can talk about inappropriate things at the table. Also, the little kids (which are just now new to our family) sit w/ us if they're at whatever gathering it is (i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas). Plus, what I think is cool, is my sister and her husband (who are 30 something) still come and sit w/ us (I think b/c they feel our pain). But anyway - I actually kinda like sitting at "the kids" table. And you are right - you really DO get to enjoy the food more (and pick at it more) if sitting at the kids table.

I can't tell you what to do but what I do know is that you have the rest of your life to sit with the adults! Also, that's a toughy about dressing up or dressing down - just dress as you I guess! :)

Anonymous said...

haha wow that reminded me of my family so much! (im hollys cousin) and i def. plan on throwing some food at the kids table this year! woOt!