Friday, December 31, 2004

2004 in Review!

2004 has FLOWN by! I have seen so much go on in my life and have been exceptionably busy! The beginning of the year I got to see myself finish out some big accomplishments, such as the end of my term as secretary for my social club, the end of my term as a senator on the student government, and most importantly graduate from my four years of undergraduate work at Abilene Christian University with a bachelors of science in psychology.

Over the summer I started a new stage of my life which included moving in with my uncle and “aunt” and cousins in Irving, Texas. Experienced many “firsts” over the summer, including taking my first plane flight, which included my first time to leave the country. Got my first ever own car and cell phone as well.

I made the decision over the summer to attend the University of Texas at Arlington for their masters of social work program this fall. This decision was “technically” made, but I would continually question whether it was the right decision all throughout my first semester of graduate work.

During the fall of this year I experienced the life of working and going to school at the same time. I would work in my uncle’s doctors’ office as well as substitute teach part-time. I’ve always considered school to be a career in itself, so I found myself really busy this fall with school AND work, but I managed to pull it off, even though the month of November became solely dedicated to school due to my procrastination on many papers and projects for my classes, but I did get them all finished, and was able to finish out the semester strongly.

I also experienced a lost of a dear friend during the fall semester which put me into a state of bereavement which brought about a sense of depression over me, which I have never experienced before. It made for a rough October, but I look back on it now, and while I don’t want to have to relive something like that again, I did learn a lot from it, and I know it will make me a stronger person for having gone through it.

Throughout this year I learned a lot, which is the most I can ask for from a time period in my life. I learned that I have some of the best friends in the world. I learned not only that, but that some friendships are stronger than you think, and that some friends are willing to give more than you think to keep in touch with you no matter the distance or “busy” schedules that someone might have. I’ve learned that I can be tested in life with difficult times and pull through. I’ve learned that if I stick to it, I can make it through times of mourning, times of extreme academic pressure, and times of questioning myself.

So, what are my plans for 2005, you ask? Well, I’ll continue to be thankful for the blessings I have and I will continue my the current friendships that I’ve been blessed with along with take every opportunity I have to make new friends. Life will bring about many new experiences and challenges for me in 2005 I’m sure, but I’m going to deal with them as they come and learn all I can in the process.

I wish you and your loved ones a safe and wonderful 2005! Take care of one another—it’s the least we can do for those who make our life’s worth livin

No comments: