Sunday, March 27, 2005

Education

I’ve always been one that enjoys learning new things. Because of this, school has always been entertaining to me. Yes, I might talk now about how I just want school to end, but what really gets me down about school is the homework, seriously, if there wasn’t homework I’d go to school the rest of my life! I love to learn!

So here I am, I have a bachelors of science in psychology with a minor in criminal justice and I’m currently working on a master in social work. I plan to finish this masters in December 2006. It is then that I plan to work as a therapist.

I’m dreamt of being a therapist for quite some time now. It was my plans when getting my undergraduate (thou at that point I was planning to be a therapist in the sense of a psychologist). I still long to be a therapist and can’t wait for that day to arrive, but I’ve found myself recently thinking of other things I’d like to do in my life too at one point or another.

I’ve learned from a good friend of mine that it’s possible to live life to its fullest and have two totally separate successful career paths within a lifespan. There’s nothing wrong with deciding enough is enough with one career and going a totally different route.

So I’ve been thinking lately and I’ve thought of some other degrees I’d LOVE to have some day!

A Ph.D.
In what, I’m not exactly sure. I’d LOVE to get one in psychology one day, but that probably be more difficult than simply staying on my current masters route and going for the doctorate in social work. Either of the two would do for me, but I just would love to have the doctorate!

A teaching degree.
The doctorate would actually get me what I would want out of teaching actually, to be a professor at a university, but I’ve always had great respect for teachers and would love to teach (in a classroom that is) maybe at some point in my life.

Some degrees I’ve given a LOT of thought to recently about “going back for” someday include:

A writing degree
I would love to get a degree in journalism, print journalism that is. I love to write! I get a rush when I get to write and have others share in what I’ve written. My blogging sometimes takes me back to my “Canned Meat” days. One can share their humor with others in written form as well as vocally. I would love to write editorial columns for a newspaper or magazine. Degree or not, I plan to one day write a book, that has been a dream of mine for QUITE a while!

A computer science degree
I love computers. I love working on computers and I love figuring things out on computers, and as a writer, computers and I spend a lot of time together. I have people at work, as well as my aunt ALL the time, telling me I should go into computers because of how I know how to work them so well, but I’ve always had the fear of going into a career in computers would take me away from one of the things I love most in this world, people. Nothing is less appealing to me than a job without people around all the time. I need people. But having this degree and being able to work a little computer magic on the side couldn’t hurt! ;)

So who knows. Maybe one day I’ll be sitting in my office, between clients, and thinking, “You know what, I think it’s time. I’m ready for a change.” And exactly which route I’ll go, no one knows. But whatever the case, you can bet I’ll be happy and ready to gain more knowledge!

1 comment:

Holly said...

You forgot about your MRS degree. ;)