Thursday, July 14, 2005

What Do You Need to Learn To Be Baptized?

Whelp, tonight was the group baptism! About 30 people were there to witness grandpa baptize 7 people. It ended up being my cousins, Brandon and Preston, their cousins, Brett and Brooke, grandpa's daughter, Darla, my aunt, Linda and my uncle Bob. Quite the event!

While I was in the car on the ride up to the church building tonight I began thinking about when I was younger.

Growing up we went to church "religiously." We seemed to never miss a Sunday morning, Sunday night, or Wednesday night. Believe it or not, I actually usually loved going too! I love groups of people! However, when there would be an occasion that we wouldn't be able to make it to church some night, my parents always made us have a family Bible study. Unfortunately I MUCH would have rather gone to church...HA! But whatever the case, if like my dad had to work late and my mom and us kids weren't able to call and get a ride in time, we'd have a Bible study all together whenever my dad would get home. You know, sing a few songs, my mom or dad would teach a short little lesson out of the Bible and us kids would be asked questions, and then we'd pray and that would be it, however I would still rather be at church...HA!

So in the car tonight on the way to the church to meet up with the family for the baptisms I was remembering one particular "family Bible study" night. I was probably like in either 5th, 6th, or 7th grade. Well I remember my dad had talked that night during the study about baptism. And I remember he asked me the question first and it was, "What do you think you need to learn in order to be baptized?"

I immediately responded, "How to swim!"

HA HA! Needless to say I was just as smart and witty back then as I am today! ;)

Whelp, after getting a good laugh about that thought while in the car driving tonight I can say this...

Even many years following that "family Bible study" I still find myself not having been baptized...but I haven't learned to swim either! ;)

No comments: