Sunday, August 14, 2005

What a Weekend...

Since Thursday I’m been getting pretty siked up about my up-coming internship for school. For those unaware, in our masters program we do two internships, the first being a placement (meaning we don’t get to pick it) and the second being somewhere that we pick. While the first one is only 400 hours, so you do it all in one semester (averaging out to 26.6 hours a week), the second one is 500 hours and can done over the course of two semesters, making it only 250 hours a semester.

For my first internship I have been placed at the UTA community service center—developmental division. Being there means as a first-year intern, I’ve been assigned to work at the homeless shelter in Fort Worth that the UTA community center runs.

Well on Thursday I received my email with my schedule for my work hours for this fall! My schedule for this fall at the shelter is as follows:
Tuesdays 8 AM till 4 PM
Wednesday 8 AM till 4:30 PM
Thursday 8 AM till 4:30 PM
Fridays noon till 3 PM
I was stoked to see I’m the only intern there that has been assigned to teaching the computer classes there at the shelter for the homeless! I have two one-hour classes I’ll be teaching each week. I teach a class on Tuesday’s from 10-11 AM and then another one on Thursday’s noon till 1 PM. I guess the supervisors that interviewed me for the internship originally were serious when they show my computer knowledge and asked if I’d be interested in teaching some computer classes! ;)

So with my first professional experience in my field only days away, I decided this weekend I needed to do a little shopping. Kinda felt like back to school clothes shopping, though I haven’t done that in YEARS (I sure didn’t care about buying new clothes for my new years at ACU...I mean I got enough t-shirts throughout the year from events that my wardrobe was complete…HA!)

So on Saturday I began shopping at about 10 AM. After seriously shopping ALL day on Sat. and then several more hours today on Sunday, I successfully spent about $230. However, we need to clear up what some of that money went towards this weekend:
$20 for an oil change while shopping at Walmart
$45 on a picture frame and picture developing for a huge collage for my room
$11 on books from a garage sale
$25 on a bookcase for my room
$10 on the new George Strait cd
The other $115 went toward dress pants, dress shirts, and dress shoes. The only things I have left on my list to get are necklaces, socks, bras, black boots, and perfume. Let me example why some of these are still left…

Socks…just forgot! HA!
Black boots…wasn’t planning on needing any until I found a cool pair of pants today that need them.
Perfume and necklaces…waiting till this week at work when I’m going with one of my co-workers to hit the places on Harry Hines!
Bras….this is the story of the weekend…

Can I just tell you there isn’t anything that I can’t stand shopping for more than bras!! It is so aggravating, for one, you can never find the right sizes…and if you find one, it ain’t like the other ones that size are with it, so unless you just need one, you’ll be looking for HOURS to find more than one! Not only this, but who really knows if the size I’m looking for is really my size…HA! I kid you not, I spent about an hour at Kohls in Irving on Sat. looking and when I decided I wasn’t having any luck, I hit the Kohls in Arlington on Sunday and spent 1.5 hours in there, looking at only bras mind you, to leave the store without any. But the funny part is, I FINALLY found three I liked and felt like they fit, then I started toward the door and was like, you know, just because I THINK this is my new “right” size because of that Oprah episode, what if it’s not? So I went and really quick tried on another size, and found I think that fit too, so I wouldn’t let myself spend the $30 per bra on the ones I had in my hand because I wasn’t even sure they were my size…HA! So I left. HA! Can you see why I hate bra shopping!

Still, my time spent in Kohls today was worth it because of two reasons…1) when I was in the dressing rooms trying them thingies on, there was this mom with her two little girls in one of the other rooms and apparently one of her little daughters was a bra virgin and it was funny to listen to them because the other little girl was obviously too young for a bra, and she kept making fun of the sister and was like, “Ha…you have to get a bra…you have boobs now!” HA HA! I was trying not to laugh out loud! And then the other little girl I could hear her saying, “I don’t know how to put this thing on” to her mother…HA! Funny times! And 2) did you know they make AA cups?!?! Holy crap…like honestly…why wear a bra?!?! I looked at that thing…I was like “dang, if that was me, I could get out of all this bra shopping business and not even have to mess with it OR spending all this money!”

One quick question….is a AA bigger than an A? Because that dang AA was itty bitty….but I thought when the letters are doubled it means bigger? And today I saw these “NB” things….apparently means “nearly B”…interesting…HA! Can you tell I don’t do this bra business much!

Besides all the shopping this weekend for getting ready for my internship, I found myself also contributing to my girliness for preparation of being professional…HA! All weekend I didn’t wear my hat one time! This wouldn’t be that big of a deal had I just stayed at home all weekend, but nope…I was out in public and not at work! And second, I even purchased a SECOND pink shirt to go in my wardrobe! HA!

Whelp….all in all I had a VERY busy weekend, since I don’t care much for shopping; however I was really proud of some of my purchases, especially the books, bookcase, and pictures and frame for my room!

The black and white GATA picture collage ROCKS! You’ll have to come see it!

As for the bookcase…I already have it all filled up with my new book purchases this weekend, my videos, and my textbooks! It looks good!

Finally, here are all the great books I got this weekend at a church garage sale for really cheap! I just love books, even though I can’t find the time to read them…HA! I just know someday I’ll find the time! I also think you can tell a lot about a person by the types of books they read (or in my case, purchase to read someday!) Here are my “new” books from this weekend (all for $11 mind you!):

The Power of the Mind to Heal by J. Borysenko & M. Borysenko
Being Happy: A handbook to greater confidence and security by A. Matthews
Mars and Venus on a Date by J. Gray
What Smart Women Know by S. Carter and J. Sokol
Never be Lied To Again by D. Lieberman
The Courage to Heal Workbook: for women and men survivors of childhood sexual abuse by L. Davis
Self-Esteem by McKay and Fanning
The Practice of Case Management by Moxley
Ego Psychology and Social Work Practice by Goldstein
Life Lessons with Max Lucado
The Count of Monte Cristo by A. Dumas
A Time to Kill by J. Grisham
I Know This Must is True by W. Lamb
Internet!: I Didn’t Know You Could Do That…
The Silence of the Lambs by T. Harris
Hannibal by T. Harris
Yukon Ho! (a Calvin and Hobbes comic book)
Chicken Soup for the Soul
A 2nd Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul
A 4th Course of Chicken Soup for the Soul
Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul
Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul
Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul

1 comment:

FeedingYourMind said...

Uhh...i have a feeling this would be a bad time to mention I got The Count of Monte Cristo and the Max Lucado book for my brother...HA! Tee hee hee! I'm not much of a non-fiction reader...HA! However, I did really enjoy that movie (The Count of Monte Cristo)! ;)

Whatever the case, I'll DEFINITELY accept your luck for my next bra shopping escapade! ;)